While authority may be was given, responsibility is taken; and that is a very important concept to remember.
I feel a little bit like listing things I have already done or am doing is like cheating, but I do it anyway because 25 is a surprising lot.
I have been asked to make a list of 25 ways I could take responsibility (without authority). –if you cared more about changing things more than credit, authority or blame?
- Start writing and creating the systems that will live beyond me
- Automate some of our more complex processes
- Look into the possibility of making an app
- Explore the uses of machine learning and how it will positively impact our users
- Start calling people and asking them what kinds of things they need and want; in relation to what we are building
- Start a twitter account and post teasers
- Start a Facebook and post teasers
- Start a blog and expand on some of the more difficult tasks we have faced
- Automate testing
- Try to break things so they can be fixed better
- Give others authority when they need it
- Take care of some of the “setup” tasks that are easy and quick allowing our talented people to focus on the hard problems
- Come up with better ways to notify people of what is going on and keep them informed
Wow, I’m stuck, most of what I am thinking of seems like fluff. The instructions say I should read others posts and add to mine. That is what I will do here.
- Get together with co-workers to see what they think is important
- Relay important information up-the-chain including opinion on how to improve or react
- Improve on problems by example
- Allow others to take ownership (responsibility) and offer help
- Do things that need to get done but no one else is willing to do
- Talk to the others involved ni my project about where things are going or could go
- Understanding the real problem
- Give the right credit
- Thanking everyone
I am surprised how hard this seems, but I guess when I think of some answers I just think “not good enough” “not grand enough”, but possibly that misses the point.
- Take care of my garbage
- clean my desk
- Sweep the floors
- Congratulate others involved